The most imposing structure that bears the name of the patron saint of the town dominates the whole old town centre. It was built in the eighteenth century, while its façade in Venetian-baroque style was added in the middle of the last century. At the top of the sixty-metre-high bell tower stands the copper statue of St. Euphemia, which shows the direction of the wind by turning on a spindle.
It was opened in 1891 as the Zoological Station of the Berlin Aquarium and it belongs among the oldest institutions of that kind in the world. The aquarium is open to visitors and abounds in specimens of the local flora and fauna presenting the typical communities that live in our undersea area. During the summer months, it is open from 9 AM to 9 PM.
The name Carrera originates from the name «strada per/di carri», meaning the road for wagons. Until the 19th century, Carrera represented the main road to Rovinj and ran directly to the bridge on the channel (presently the area in front of the Native Museum, which separated the island settlement from the mainland.
Where the Balbi’s Arch stands today, there used to be the main gate to the fortified city of Porton della Pescheria. The old gate was pulled down in 1678/79 and the Balbi's Arch was built in its place. The top of the arch is ornamented with a Turkish head on the outside and a Venetian head on the inside.
The Rovinj Heritage Museum operates in the historical Califfi Palace situated in the historical core of Rovinj, while three other city locations host two storerooms and St. Thomas Gallery. Califfi Palace and St. Thomas Gallery are valuable architectural heritage monuments of the city.
Luxury old town villa with 3 bedrooms